A project admin is a project committer that has been granted GitHub Admin privilege level. This gives the individual the right to change certain repository settings without needing to submit Linux Foundation Release Engineering Service Desk tickets. By default project committers have GitHub Write privilege level.
GitHub also supports the concept of a Maintain privilege level which allows designated users a significant subset of the privileges of a user with the Admin privilege level. Projects are encouraged to consider whether full Admin privileges are required for certain designated users, or if Maintain level privileges would be sufficient.
As GitHub Admin privilege level provides full access, project admins agree not to perform these sensitive and destructive actions:
- Delete or archive the repository
- Transfer the repository out of the ASWF organization
- Change the repository visibility
- Disable or downgrade the DCO signoff PR check from mandatory to optional
- Disable or downgrade the CLA PR check from mandatory to optional
- Merge a pull request to a protected branch where either the DCO signoff or CLA checks have failed
- Force push to a protected branch where either the DCO signoff or CLA checks have failed or have not yet been performed
Being given and retaining these permissions is at the discretion of the Linux Foundation Release Engineering team.